Terms & Conditions
These terms are subject to change or be updated. Please keep yourself apprised of these terms as they are updated in future releases.
Student Data Privacy Pledge
Pursuant to the Student Privacy Pledge by the Software and Information Industry Association,
We PLEDGE to:
Not collect, maintain, use or share student personal information beyond that needed for authorized educational/school purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student.
We plan to comply with all applicable Federal and State laws, the most strict of which is the new SOPIPA law in California.
- Not sell student personal information.
- Not use or disclose student information collected through an educational/school service (whether personal information or otherwise) for behavioral targeting of advertisements to students.
- Not build a personal profile of a student other than for supporting authorized educational/school purposes or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Not make material changes to school service provider consumer privacy policies without first providing prominent notice to the account holder(s) (i.e., the educational institution/agency, or the parent/student when the information is collected directly from the student with student/parent consent) and allowing them choices before data is used in any manner inconsistent with terms they were initially provided; and not make material changes to other policies or practices governing the use of student personal information that are inconsistent with contractual requirements.
- Not knowingly retain student personal information beyond the time period required to support the authorized educational/school purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Collect, use, share, and retain student personal information only for purposes for which we were authorized by the educational institution/agency, teacher or the parent/student.
- Disclose clearly in contracts or privacy policies, including in a manner easy for parents to understand, what types of student personal information we collect, if any, and the purposes for which the information we maintain is used or shared with third parties.
- Support access to and correction of student personally identifiable information by the student or their authorized parent, either by assisting the educational institution in meeting its requirements or directly when the information is collected directly from the student with student/parent consent.
- Maintain a comprehensive security program that is reasonably designed to protect the security, privacy, confidentiality, and integrity of student personal information against risks – such as unauthorized access or use, or unintended or inappropriate disclosure – through the use of administrative, technological, and physical safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Require that our vendors with whom student personal information is shared in order to deliver the educational service, if any, are obligated to implement these same commitments for the given student personal information. (At this time KnowStory does not resell for any companies or publishers but provides only links and so does not technically have "vendors." In future actual ecommerce functions, when opted into by companies or publishers will require they sign legal documentation with KnowStory requiring point be in on their end.)
- Allow a successor entity to maintain the student personal information, in the case of our merger or acquisition by another entity, provided the successor entity is subject to these same commitments for the previously collected student personal information.
- We welcome requirements by schools for additional legal obligations, contractual commitments, or requests from educational institutions or parents/students that direct or otherwise authorize (or hide from viewing or use) additional uses of student data, other than those specified above.
- Nothing in this pledge is intended to prohibit the use of student personal information for purposes of adaptive learning or customized education. (KnowStory is by its nature an adaptive recommendations engine for any/all types of content for learners or schools, but not itself actual learning content. It may provide "news" and viewpoints in traditional media style.)
- This pledge is intended to be applicable to new contracts and policies going forward and addressed — where inconsistent and as agreed to by the educational institution or agency — in existing contracts as updated over time.
- This pledge shall be effective as of September 25, 2015.
'School service provider' refers to any entity that: (1) is providing, and is operating in its capacity as a provider of, an online or mobile application, online service or website that is both designed and marketed for use in United States elementary and secondary educational institutions/ agencies and is used at the direction of their teachers or other employees; and (2) collects, maintains or uses student personal information in digital/electronic format. The term 'school service provider' does not include an entity that is providing, and that is operating in its capacity as a provider of, general audience software, applications, services or websites not designed and marketed for schools. (KnowStory is a general audience software and is not specifically marketed only for schools as an internal-use-only software device, but is an external Social Media program for the entire general industry of Education globally.)
'Educational/School purposes' are services or functions that customarily take place at the direction of the educational institution/agency or their teacher/employee, for which the institutions or agency would otherwise use its own employees, and that aid in the administration or improvement of educational and school activities (e.g., instruction, administration, and development and improvement of products/services intended for educational/school use). 'Student personal information' is personally identifiable information as well as other information when it is both collected and maintained on an individual level and is linked to personally identifiable information.
'Student' applies to students of United States elementary and secondary schools, and with regard to notice and consent applies only to students of appropriate age as authorized under relevant United States federal law.
'Consumer privacy policies' include those privacy policies that are posted by the company to be available to all users to the site or service.
'Parent' includes a student’s legal guardian.
Student Data Privacy Pledge
KnowStory users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some of the agreements you make when you create and keep an account with us:
- If you are under 13, you will only use KnowStory with parent approval.
- You will not provide any fraudulent or false personal information, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
- You will not create more than one personal account.
- If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
- You will not use KnowStory if you are a convicted criminal.
- You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.
- You will not share your password or let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
- If you select a username or similar identifier for your account or Page, we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe it is appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user's actual name).
- You acknowledge that KnowStory reserves the right to take ownership of or cancel your account at any time without prior notification. This is here for security reasons. Though this is a very unlikely occurrence it is still in place to maintain security and privacy for users and to keep KnowStory safe for all users.
- As KnowStory is in beta it is encouraged and requested that if any bugs are found that they are reported immediately on our Reports form. Please include as much information as possible.
- In alignment with KnowStory being in beta you acknowledge that bugs may be encountered and we make no guarantees about any of our products or services. On any reported bugs our team will work as fast as possible to fix the issue.
- During the beta KnowStory is intended for US residents only.
Your privacy is very important to us. We have zero tolerance with any violation of the terms of this agreement, and any user who violates them. The safety and privacy of our users and visitors of utmost importance to us. Because of this we require that you have an account and are registered and have agreed to these terms to visit any part of the site other than the products pages.
KnowStory offers commercial interests a means of advertising through Stories and ads to reach people on KnowStory. When you search for any particular thing you are automatically indicating your own interests so that we can use our algorithms to line up search results or advertising to help you specifically find learning content or products you want. When we deliver ads, we do not share your information (information that personally identifies you, such as your name or contact information) with advertisers. We may provide advertisers with information when we have removed your name and other personally identifying information from it, or combined it with other information so that it no longer personally identifies you. For example, we may tell an advertiser how its ads perform or how many people viewed or clicked on their ads or install an app after seeing an ad.
Additionally, so that we can show you content that you may find interesting, we may use information you have provided about yourself to serve relevant recommendations. For example:
- information you provide at registration or add to your account or Story that is not your name or contact information;
- things you share and do on KnowStory, such as what you like, and your interactions with advertisements, partners, or apps;
- things we infer from your use of KnowStory.
For ads we may serve, advertisers may choose their audience by location, demographics, likes, keywords, and any other information we receive or infer about users. Here are some of the ways advertisers may target relevant ads:
- demographics and interests, such as grade ranges, or interests in an e-book, subject, game-type, lesson-plan type, etc.
- topics or keywords: for example, "Science" or "Civil War."
If an advertiser chooses to run ads, we serve the ads to people who meet criteria the advertiser selects. So, if someone views or otherwise interacts with the ad, the advertiser might assume that the person meets the criteria they selected. We require advertisers, just like all other users, to comply with all of the terms of this agreement and are committed to keeping privacy and security standards of KnowStory.
We may tell you about some of the features and tools your friends and others use on KnowStory, to help you have a better experience. For example, if a classmate of yours really enjoys an e-learning game, we may tell you about it to encourage you to use it as well. This, of course, means your friend may similarly see suggestions based on the things you do and we hope this creates more learning for everyone. We will try to only show it to your particular friends that could benefit from your experience. This is just like other Social Media.
Cookies, Pixels and Other Similar Technologies
Cookies are small pieces of data that are stored on your computer, mobile phone or other device. Pixels are small blocks of code on webpages that do things like allow another server to measure viewing of a webpage and often are used in connection with cookies.
We will use technologies like cookies, pixels, and local storage (like on your browser or device, which is similar to a cookie but holds more information) to provide and understand a range of products and services to help your user experience.
These will do things like:
- make KnowStory easier or faster to use;
- enable features and store information about you (including on your device or in your browser cache so you can do things like log-in easier) and your use of KnowStory;
- deliver, understand and improve advertising;
- monitor and understand the use of our products and services; and
- protect you, others and KnowStory.
We may use these tools to know you are logged in to KnowStory, to help you use social plugins and share buttons, or to know when you are interacting with our advertising or Platform partners.
We may ask advertisers or other partners to serve ads or services to computers, mobile phones or other devices, which may use a cookie, pixel or other similar technology placed by KnowStory or the third party (although we would not share information that personally identifies you with an advertiser). Our vision of any third party is not a commercial interested one for information but one that would contribute function to how we deliver such as certain software code and text or email delivery engines.
Cookies and things like local storage help make KnowStory work, like allowing pages to load faster because certain content is stored on your browser or by helping us authenticate you to deliver personalized content.
the Digital Advertising Alliance at
the Internet Advertising Bureau (US) at
or the Internet Advertising Bureau (EU) at
Refer to your browser or device's help material to learn what controls you can often use to remove or block cookies or other similar technologies or block or remove other data stored on your computer or device (such as by using the various settings in your browser). If you do this, it may affect your ability to use KnowStory or other websites and apps.
Sharing Your Content and Information
You own all of the content and information you post on KnowStory.
- For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with KnowStory (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it. This is also a protection for KnowStory so that we are not so embroiled in legal actions that we can’t provide KnowStory for all our great users because you didn’t make sure your photo was yours to use and we all got sued. Big not okay. You guarantee your photo or video or any other content you uploaded was in fact yours or you paid for the unlimited rights to it and could prove it.
- When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
- When you publish content or information using the Public setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people not members but who could search on the open Internet the repositories of products in KnowStory, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).
- We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about KnowStory, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them.)
We do our best to keep KnowStory safe, but we cannot guarantee it. We need your help to keep KnowStory safe, which includes the following commitments by you:
- You will not post unauthorized commercial communications (such as spam) on KnowStory.
- You will not collect users' content or information, or otherwise access or visit KnowStory, using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers) without our prior permission.
- You will not engage in unlawful multi-level marketing, such as a pyramid scheme, on KnowStory.
- You will not upload viruses or other malicious code.
- You will not solicit login information or access an account belonging to someone else.
- You will not bully, intimidate, or harass any user.
- You will not post content that: is hate speech, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.
- You will not develop or operate a third-party application containing alcohol-related, dating or other mature content (including advertisements).
- You will not use KnowStory to do anything unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory.
- You will not do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper working or appearance of KnowStory, such as a denial of service attack or interference with page rendering or other KnowStory functionality.
- You will not facilitate or encourage any violations of this Statement or our policies.
Protecting Other People's Rights
We respect other people's rights, and expect you to do the same.
- You will not post content or take any action on KnowStory that infringes or violates someone else's rights or otherwise violates the law.
- We can remove any content or information you post on KnowStory if we believe that it violates this Statement or our policies.
- If we remove your content for infringing someone else's copyright, and you believe we removed it by mistake, we will provide you with an opportunity to appeal.
- If you repeatedly infringe other people's intellectual property rights, we will disable your account when appropriate.
- You will not use our copyrights or trademarks (including KnowStory, the KnowStory and K Logos, KS, My Story, KnowCred, InventStory), or any confusingly similar marks, except as expressly permitted by written permission from an authorized KnowStory representative.
- You will not post anyone's identification documents or sensitive financial information on KnowStory.
Mobile and Other Devices
- We currently provide our mobile services for free, but please be aware that your carrier's normal rates and fees, such as text messaging and data charges, will still apply.
- You provide consent and all rights necessary to enable users to sync (including through an application) their devices with any information that is visible to them on KnowStory.
Even More Info About Advertisements and Other Commercial Content Served or Enhanced by KnowStory
Our goal is to deliver advertising and other commercial or sponsored content that is valuable to our users and advertisers. In order to help us do that, you agree to the following:
- Personal information will never be given by us (KnowStory) to another entity or third party without the full permission of the person or account that the information belongs to. Personal information is defined as name, address, any field filled out by that person, and pictures when attributed to that person singly.
- Information that can be used as statistics might be collected and used on this site. None of this information will contain any identifying factors singly. These will be for statistics such as how many people have downloaded "X" product, or purchased "B" book from "C" publisher. These pieces of information serve as tabulations and will only be expressed or shared, anonymously with no record or association with the single user(s) the information was generated from.
- Information may be collected from you to generate or supply recommendations and products to you that may be of benefit, such as learning apps and services.
- We do not give your content or identifiable information (such as name, or address) to advertisers without your consent.
- You understand that we may not always identify paid services and communications as such.
Special Provisions Applicable to Advertisers
You can target your desired audience by buying ads on KnowStory or our publisher network. The following additional terms apply to you if you place an order through our online advertising portal (Order):
- When you place an Order, you will tell us the type of advertising you want to buy, the amount you want to spend, and your bid. If we accept your Order, we will deliver your ads as inventory becomes available. When serving your ad, we do our best to deliver the ads to the audience you specify, although we cannot guarantee in every instance that your ad will reach its intended target.
- In instances where we believe doing so will enhance the effectiveness of your advertising campaign, we may broaden the targeting criteria you specify.
- We will determine the size, placement, and positioning of your ads.
- We do not guarantee the activity that your ads will receive, such as the number of clicks your ads will get.
- We cannot control how clicks are generated on your ads. We have systems that attempt to detect and filter certain click activity, but we are not responsible for click fraud, technological issues, or other potentially invalid click activity that may affect the cost of running ads.
- You can cancel your Order at any time through our online portal, but it may take up to 24 hours before the ad stops running. You are responsible for paying for all ads that run.
- Our license to run your ad will end when we have completed your Order. You understand, however, that if users have interacted with your ad, your ad may remain until the users delete it.
- We can use your ads and related content and information for marketing or promotional purposes.
- You will not issue any press release or make public statements about your relationship with KnowStory without our prior written permission.
- We may reject or remove any ad for any reason.
- If you are placing ads on someone else's behalf, you must have permission to place those ads, including the following:
-You warrant that you have the legal authority to bind the advertiser to this -Statement.
You agree that if the advertiser you represent violates this Statement, we may hold you responsible for that violation.
KnowStory’s marketplace is where you can upload, list, display, advertise your products, learning content, software, curriculum, games, media, and other items (further referred to as 'items') as well as find items from others – for free, or for purchase. By participating or using KnowStory, you consent to these policies as pertain to the marketplace:
- KnowStory is not responsible for the delivery of items from a seller to a purchaser. These transactions are to be fulfilled by the seller or provider and transactions are created, maintained and completed by the relationship formed between a seller/provider and the user who is accessing or purchasing the item
- By listing, displaying or having an item on KnowStory you are acknowledging:
- You own the item(s) or have legal rights to the item or you have the legal rights to upload, display, sell or market the item(s).
- That the content or description of the item is suitable for all audiences. There is a variety of age ranges for the other users on KnowStory, and the item needs to be appropriate for all audiences, even if the item is intended for a mature end user. This means there is no allowance for sexual, graphic, violent, drug-related, or other content that is intended for a mature viewer only.
- KnowStory retains the right to remove, revoke, alter or delete your listing or display and the content associated with it on KnowStory for the item, for violation of any of the points in policy, or for any reason at all.
- KnowStory is granted a royalty-free, non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable right and license to use, reproduce, perform, display, distribute, adapt, modify, re-format, create derivative works of, and otherwise commercially or non-commercially exploit in any manner, any and all of the content you submit to KnowStory and its affiliates.
- KnowStory is given the right to display, advertise, promote, share, use the item, along with any pictures, logos, description, content, trademarks or anything else associated with the item when it is uploaded, listed, edited, altered or added to KnowStory.
- KnowStory provides a means for users to find and discover item(s) provided and/or delivered from others. Itself is not the provider or creator of the item(s), but a means for discovery. As such, KnowStory is not associated, or partnered with, or contribute to the providers or sellers of item(s) in any way other than the points covered in this policy and the displaying of item(s) as an independent third-party. Further, KnowStory does not represent or speak for or on behalf of entities selling or displaying item(s) and does not guarantee or fulfill any claims conveyed by entities. The content provided by selling/providing entities is entirely provided by or created by that entity, unless otherwise covered under point 2, and so responsibility, fulfillment and liability of statements belongs entirely to the selling/providing enity or one who listed the item(s).
- General Release. BECAUSE KNOWSTORY IS NOT INVOLVED IN TRANSACTIONS BETWEEN BUYERS AND SELLERS/PROVIDERS OR OTHER PARTICIPANT DEALINGS, IF A DISPUTE ARISES BETWEEN ONE OR MORE PARTICIPANTS, EACH OF YOU RELEASE KNOWSTORY (AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AGENTS AND EMPLOYEES) FROM CLAIMS, DEMANDS, AND DAMAGES (ACTUAL AND CONSEQUENTIAL) OF EVERY KIND AND NATURE, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, SUSPECTED AND UNSUSPECTED, DISCLOSED AND UNDISCLOSED, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH SUCH DISPUTES.
- Indemnity and Defense. You will defend, indemnify and hold harmless KnowStory and its affiliates (and their respective employees, directors, agents and representatives) from and against any and all claims, costs, losses, damages, judgments, penalties, interest and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees) arising out of any Claim that arises out of or relates to: (i) any actual or alleged breach of your representations, warranties, or obligations set forth in this Agreement and Policy; or (ii) your own website or other sales channels, the products you sell, any content you provide, the advertisement, offer, sale or return of any products you sell, any actual or alleged infringement of any intellectual property or proprietary rights by any products you sell or content you provide, or Seller Taxes or the collection, payment or failure to collect or pay Seller Taxes. For purposes hereof: "Claim" means any claim, action, audit, investigation, inquiry or other proceeding instituted by a person or entity.
- Limitation of Liability. KNOWSTORY WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT AND POLICY, THE SITE, THE SERVICES, THE TRANSACTION PROCESSING SERVICE, THE INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES OR THE TRANSACTION PROCESSING SERVICE, OR THOSE RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED OR MESSAGES RECEIVED OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH THE SERVICES.
- If you encounter any violation of the points in this policy or questionable activity not otherwise noted, you will at once report it to the KnowStory administrators and allow KnowStory to take proper action to handle within a reasonable amount of time.
- Your continued use of KnowStory following changes to our terms constitutes your acceptance of our amended terms. To ensure you keep up to date on our terms it is advised you check them out by clicking the Policies link at the bottom of the website and check the post date regularly to ensure you have read the most recent issue. When changes or revisions are made to our terms we will send you an email notifying you as well.
If you violate the letter or spirit of this Statement, or otherwise create risk or possible legal exposure for us, we can stop providing all or part of KnowStory to you. We will notify you by email or at the next time you attempt to access your account. You may also delete your account or disable your application at any time.
WE TRY TO KEEP KNOWSTORY UP, BUG-FREE, AND SAFE, BUT YOU USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE PROVIDING KNOWSTORY AS IS WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT KNOWSTORY WILL ALWAYS BE SAFE, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE OR THAT KNOWSTORY WILL ALWAYS FUNCTION WITHOUT DISRUPTIONS, DELAYS OR IMPERFECTIONS. KNOWSTORY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS, CONTENT, INFORMATION, OR DATA OF THIRD PARTIES, AND YOU RELEASE US, OUR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS FROM ANY CLAIMS AND DAMAGES, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH ANY CLAIM YOU HAVE AGAINST ANY SUCH THIRD PARTIES. IF YOU ARE A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT, YOU WAIVE CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE §1542, WHICH SAYS: A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR. WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS STATEMENT OR KNOWSTORY, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. OUR AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF THIS STATEMENT OR KNOWSTORY WILL NOT EXCEED THE GREATER OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100) OR THE AMOUNT YOU HAVE PAID US IN THE PAST TWELVE MONTHS. APPLICABLE LAW MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH CASES, KNOWSTORY'S LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.